Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Book Worm

I am finishing up a fantastic read, and I want to tell you about it.

Raising Godly Kids (Let's Get Real)
By Carey Scott

As I type this, it's on sale on Amazon (Kindle version, that is) $.99.

This book is a quick read (I read half of it in just one evening).
It has so many great ideas for how to teach your children about God.  Real, applicable advice.  I loved it.

I rather loved the section where she encourages moms to pray scripture over their children.  I have heard of this, and done it occasionally but honestly don't do it very often.  This book has inspired me to try again.  Here are a few of my favorite verses the author suggested we pray over our children.

James 1:19--to be swift to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger
Hebrews 13:5--to be content with what they have
1 John 2:15--to keep them from loving the world or the things in it

These are just a few, she listen about 20 of them.  I think I may put them on index cards, that are easy to carry around with me.

Do you Bless your kids?
This is another area we have never really thought about.  She encourages moms and dads to create a special blessing for each child, and to say it daily.  I love this idea, and am excited to implement it.  She gives a template for what a blessing may look like, but she highly suggests praying about it with your spouse before putting pen to paper.


A few other great chapters include:

Teaching your child to pray
Battling for your child
Your kids need to know they are valued
Praising children for their inner beauty
Words and tone matter


I love the practicality of the book.  I also loved all the scripture references.  I would highly suggest it to any parents wanting to amp up their child's understanding of God, and how to make God real to little ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!