Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Wheat Berries

Although I have been on a hiatus because tootsie roll and I have been traveling with my husband, I have not stopped looking for ideas for how to improve our home/lifestyle. One idea I have come across (several other blogs/websites talked about this) is using wheat berries to grow grass for Easter baskets.


The process is pretty simple. Choose a basket of your liking, and line it with plastic. Next fill with soil (if you are planning on using the wheat grass later to make nutritious smoothies make sure to use good soil). Plant the seeds, water, and wait.


I am not sure if our grass will be very long considering we won't be able to start this project until later, however the grass can be trimmed and put in a food mill. The juice can be drank straight up (I have heard/read mixed reviews about the taste, and I have not tried this personally yet) or you can add to a smoothie.

Here are some of the common health benefits noted from wheat grass.

  • Increases and sustains energy naturally
  • Detoxifies and cleanses your body
  • High alkalinity helps balance your body’s pH level
  • Strengthens your immune system
  • Insoluble fiber gently cleanses your digestive tract and promotes regularity
  • Complete food with enzymes and all essential amino acids
  • Natural source of antioxidants to help repair damaged cells
  • Excellent source of beta carotene, folic acid and vitamin C


1 comment:

  1. I just started reading about high acidity and balancing with alkaline foods for your ph :) It never interested me until earlier today. Very interesting idea for Easter too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!